The non-lucrative residence visa is a permit to reside in Spain, without carrying out any business or professional activity, if proof of sufficient financial resources to fund this stay can be demonstrated. This visa is initially granted for 1 year and can be subsequently renewed.

Who is this visa for?

This visa is most frequently requested by those wishing to retire in Spain and who will use their pension income as their main proof of financial resources.

However, anybody who has sufficient financial resources to fund their stay in Spain can apply (passive income such as savings, rental income or income earned from investments, shares etc.), amounting to 400% of the IPREM (Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator) in their bank account annually. 100% of the IPREM must be added to this amount for each family member who is a dependant of the applicant. For 2023, the IPREM is 600 euros per month (7,200 euros annually), so 400% would demonstrate that there is at least €28,800 in the bank.

Which documents need to be submitted and for which of them do I need a sworn translation?

The visa application must be made in the consular jurisdiction of where the applicant lives. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully read the list of documents to be submitted in the corresponding Consulate (there are some differences between the Consulates).

Below I have listed the documents required by the Consulate of Spain in London and which must be submitted by each applicant:

1.       National visa application form (Application form)

2.       Non-lucrative residence visa application form (Form EX01)

3.       Recent photograph, passport size, in colour, taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or garments concealing the oval of the face.

4.       Current passport with a minimum validity of one year. The original will be submitted with a photocopy of the page or pages containing biometric data. The applicant must leave their passport at the Consulate during the processing time and include a prepaid Royal Mail “Special Delivery” envelope with the visa application. Once the Consulate have issued their decision, the passport will be returned to the applicant by post. The applicant must complete the passport submission form.

5.       Proof of financial resources. The original and a copy of the supporting documents must be submitted, proving that the applicant has sufficient financial resources to cover the costs of residency in Spain for the first year. Foreign documents must be legalised or apostilled and, where applicable, translated into Spanish by a Sworn Translator.

6.       Health insurance. The original and a copy of the certificate of the public or private health insurance taken out with an insurance company authorised to operate in Spain.

7.       Criminal record check certificate. Adult applicants over the age of criminal responsibility shall submit the original and a copy of the criminal record check certificate issued by the country or countries of residence in the last 5 years. The certificate cannot be more than 6 months old. For criminal record check certificates from the United Kingdom the ACRO certificate must be submitted. This certificate must have the Hague Convention Apostille and be translated into Spanish by a Sworn Translator.

8.       Medical certificate. The original and a copy of a medical certificate stating that the applicant is not suffering from any illnesses that may have serious repercussions for public health, in accordance with the International Health Regulations 2005. Certificates issued in a language other than Spanish must be translated into Spanish by a Sworn Translator.


9.       Proof of residence in the consular jurisdiction. Legal residence in the consular jurisdiction must be proven.

10.    Payment of fees. To pay the residence authorisation fee in the Consular Office, form 790 code 052, subsection 2.1 must be completed (Initial authorisation of temporary residence).

Documents required for each family member:

·         All the requirements specified in 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. For minors, the visa application and the residence visa application shall be signed by one of their parents.

·         Documents proving the family relationship with the applicant: birth, marriage or civil partnership certificates issued by the civil register or any other document proving the relationship as an unregistered partnership.

·         For children of legal age, documents proving financial dependence, the child’s civil status and that they continue to form part of the family unit.

·         For ascendants, documents proving financial dependence, and that they form part of the family unit.

All foreign family documents indicated in the four points above must be legalised or apostilled and, where they are issued in a language other than Spanish must be translated into Spanish by a Sworn Translator.


Do you need a Sworn Translator for your non-lucrative visa?
In the last year I have translated all the documents for this type of visa for more than 200 clients, both private and through law firms and visa agencies.

My experience is a guarantee of quality and speed. Many documents have an expiry date, so I always deliver translations for visas in very short timescales. Send me your documents and let’s start!